The Most Epic Winter Adventure from the Victorian Alps to the Gippsland Lakes
5 day (4 night) Fully Guided Adventure
Ski or Snowboard Mount Hotham
Kayak the Gippsland Lakes
Snowshoe to Fondue Dinner Experience
Bathe at the new Metung Hot Springs
Accommodation and most meals included
Small group (max 9 guests)
Transport Included to/from Melbourne & Mornington Peninsula
Join WAM on our epic 5 day Great Alpine & Lakes Adventure in the Victorian Alps & Gippsland Lakes.
From Skiing & Snowboarding Mount Hotham, Australia’s highest alpine village, snowshoeing to eco villages, driving the iconic Great Alpine Road, kayaking the Gippsland Lakes, bathing in the Metung Hot Springs with lake vistas, and tasting fantastic produce along the way with a small group of likeminded legends.
The Great Alpine Road stretches from the Australian Alps to the Gippsland lakes and this trip is all about enjoying the best of the great outdoors during the cooler months amongst some of the most breathtaking scenery found anywhere in Australia.
Please see the sample itinerary below for more information.
This trip is suitable for both experienced skiers/snowboarders, and beginners (we recommend you book lessons, please contact us for more details)
- Ski & snowboard equipment and clothing hire available or bring your own
Kayak equipment and life jackets provided
$550 non-refundable deposit needed to secure the booking, payment due 60 days before the trip.
Ski or Snowboard Mount Hotham
Experience The Best of The Great Alpine Road
Kayaking experience on the Gippsland Lakes
Snowshoeing experience to Alpine Eco Village for dinner
Bathe at the Metung Hot Springs overlooking the lake
Enjoy a guided walk in Tarra Bulga National Park
Click the Tabs for More Information
Wednesday 16th – Sunday 20th August 2023
Wednesday 6th – Sunday 10th September 2023
Pick up Locations
(exact locations confirmed closer to the date)
5 days, 4 nights
9 people maximum
5 full days of hosted activities
1 Full Day Lift Pass for Mount Hotham Ski Resort (additional days available for purchase)
Night skiing at the snow park in Dinner Plain
Entry and Bathing at the brand new Metung Hot Springs
Snowshoeing & Dinner experience at an Alpine Eco Village (includes guided snowshoe tour, Gluhwein (hot spiced red wine) by the fire, dinner, Guided return walk to carpark
Kayaking experience on the Gippsland Lakes
Optional trip to Raymond Island
Guided hike in Tarra Bulga National Park
2 Nights chalet accommodation in the alpine village of Dinner Plain
2 Nights cosy Gippsland lakeside cabin accommodation
Return transport from Melbourne and Mornington Peninsula in the legendary WAM van.
- Day 1: Lunch & Dinner
- Day 2: Breakfast & Dinner
- Day 3: Breakfast & Dinner
- Day 4: Breakfast & Lunch
- Day 5: Breakfast & Lunch
Bed linen and towels
- Towel, robe & locker hire at the Hot Springs
Photos and videos of your trip sent to you on the last day of your trip
Qualified and highly experienced WAM guide
Reef safe sunscreen
Reusable bottle and keep cup to use for the trip
- Refreshments and snacks
Mt Hotham Lift Pass on day 1 and day 3
In the Victorian Alps we will be staying at a stylish and tastefully refurbished chalet located in the scenic alpine village of Dinner Plain. The perfect place to relax and unwind after a day on the slopes and just a few minutes walk to restaurants, bars and shops.
Dinner Plain is located just 10 minutes from Mt Hotham. WAM will be providing transfers to and from Hotham each day we are there.
During Plain also has a beginner ski slope, with tobogganing and night skiing on select days.
Our chalet in Dinner Plain comes complete with living area with a cosy fireplace, washing facilities, offering a total of 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, bed linen, towels, a flat-screen TV, a dining area, a fully equipped kitchen, and a patio with garden views. Ski storage space is available on site.
At the Gippsland Lakes we stay in waterfront accommodation, hidden
in an enchanting hamlet between Lakes Entrance and Metung.
Taking full advantage of our hillside location, each of the secluded cabins offer enviable lake views, looking down through the treetops to the water’s edge below. Framed by two jetties and an historic boatshed, the Nungurner foreshore situated below your accommodation offering sheltered, shallow access to the lake, this is the perfect spot to launch a kayak.
Our cabins are equipped so you can settle in quickly and feel right at home. The décor is retro coastal, with simple but comfortable furnishings, light filled interiors, and thoughtful amenities. Kitchens are fully equipped for self-catering. The deluxe hotel quality linen and comfortable beds ensure a restful stay, with split system air-conditioning provided for year-round comfort. Each cabin has a private deck and is the perfect place to relax with a glass of wine. In the evenings, the outdoor fire-pits are ideal for toasting marshmallows and stargazing.
At Dinner Plain the group will enjoy double/twin-share, triple-share or quad-share rooms.
Our lakeside accommodation at the Gippsland Lakes will be doubles or twin-share rooms.
These rooms will be allocated on a first come, first served basis, and if your room allocation is no longer available once you have secured a spot, we will work with you to find an alternative room or cancel your spot and provide a full refund of your deposit.
- Ski or snowboard equipment or gear hire (can be hired, please contact us if you require this)
- Additional days Lift pass outside the one day included (can be booked)
- Ski or snowboarding lessons (can be booked)
- Personal travel insurance
- 1 Evening meal at local restaurant
What to bring
Ski and snowboard equipment and clothing (or hire available), beanie, sunglasses, ski goggles, camera, swimwear, waterproof boots or shoes, warm clothes (including thermals, hat and gloves) and a rain jacket just in case.
No skill level required. Beginner and intermediate skiers, snowboarders and kayakers welcome. Please contact upon booking if you are a beginner and require ski or snowboarding lessons.
Eco Credentials of trip
As one of Australia’s only certified B-Corps, WAM operates as a regenerative tourism business and a force for good.
WAM will be planting trees for every guest joining this adventure.
Mt Hotham is known as one of the most sustainably conscious ski resorts and in 2019 was named as one of the global Top 100 Sustainable Destinations.
Hotham, together with Vail Resorts, is part of an EpicPromise to the planet:
- Zero net emissions by 2030.
- Zero waste to landfill by 2030.
- Zero net operating impact to forests and habitat.
Alpine Nature Experience are carbon and plastic positive and plant 5 trees for every booking.
Metung Hot Springs have developed a regeneration model that goes beyond basic social and environmental care, with a steadfast focus on continuously improving quality of life.
The activities we offer on the trip (skiing & snowboarding, snowshoeing, kayaking, and hiking) are human-powered therefore causing zero-minimal impact on the environment.
About your guide
Nic ‘Coops’ Cooper is the owner of WAM and has been running tours for many years. A highly experienced host, snowboarder and outdoor adventure guide, he is passionate about the environment and supporting communities, with several conservation and First Nations initiatives being supported through the WAM 4 Project.
Nic is also trained in first aid, CPR and a surf life saver.
Early morning departure from Melbourne, Frankston or the Mornington Peninsula. The WAM van will pick up from Melbourne at around 5:30am so that we can make our way into the Victorian Alps driving the Great Alpine Road and arrive in resort by late morning. On route, your WAM guide will be giving a bit of info about your next 5 days of adventure and we will stop for a coffee along the way.
- We aim to arrive in Mount Hotham by late morning so that any of the group wishing to hit the slopes straight away can be dropped off. We will also be collecting your lift passes and picking up any hire gear.
- For anyone looking to relax today, the WAM van will be going straight to Dinner Plain to our beautiful chalet for the next few nights to unload your luggage and show each of the group to the rooms.
- The rest of the day is yours to relax, explore Victoria’s highest alpine village, or for those of you skiing or snowboarding for the day, your WAM host will return at an organised time later in the day to pick you up.
- This evening we have a group dinner at the chalet whilst getting to know each other by the open fire.
- For those really keen after dinner, gear up as we take the short stroll to enjoy night skiing at the snow park!
We will awake on our first day and enjoy a continental breakfast at our accomodation.
Our first day of adventure is all about skiing or snowboarding some of Australia’s most beautiful terrain. WAM will provide a transfer for the short drive between Dinner Plain and Mt Hotham (or for any beginners you may wish to enjoy the beginners slope just a few minutes walk from our accommodation).
Mt Hotham features the perfect mix of beginner, intermediate and expert runs, masterfully groomed slopes, tree-lined back country bowls and terrain parks. Hotham is also known as Australia’s powder capital and the last 3 years the snow season has continued well into October.
After an exhilarating day on the slopes, your WAM guide will transfer you to the start of our included evening activity.
- Your Snowshoe to Fondue dinner experience starts with a snowshoe walk through the mystic snow gums, to encapsulate a sense of remoteness and immerse oneself in the Australian alpine environment. On your way you will hear stories about the Australian Alps pioneers. Arriving just before sunset at a sustainable hidden eco-village, you’ll enjoy a delicious heart warming glass of home-made mulled wine outside by the fire, watching the sun disappear over the Dargo valley. You will then be invited in the central tipi with a fireplace, where you will learn the secrets to making a traditional and mouth-watering French fondue, with cheese imported for the occasion from French Alpine farms (dietary requirements are catered for so please inform us when booking).After a 3 course dinner we will sit around the fire sharing a few drinks and stories.Fit your snowshoes and head-torch once more for the return journey to the carpark, gazing at the stars before your WAM guide will transfer you back to our accommodation.
An early start and breakfast so we can make the most of our final day on the slopes.
- We will aim to depart Hotham/Dinner Plain mid-afternoon giving everyone plenty of time to enjoy skiing, snowboarding or just relaxing in the mountains.
Our drive this afternoon will head down the iconic and breathtaking Great Alpine Road as we travel through lofty mountain ranges, down plunging valleys, into lush forests, and past rolling vineyards along the way to the sparkling waterways on Gippsland’s coast.
The spectacular drive takes just 2 to 2.5 hours until we reach the end of The Great Alpine Road where we will be arriving at our lakeside cabins just before sunset.
- Tonight we have a casual dinner in our accommodation before relaxing for the evening sharing stories from the adventures we have just had.
Today is all abut enjoying the spectacular Gippsland Lakes.
- Starting with breakfast at our accommodation looking out over Australia’s largest inland waterways.
- We then head down to the waters edge for a beautiful kayaking adventure on the lake exploring the coastline.
- We’ll be on the water for a few hours keeping an eye out for birdlife and dolphins whilst enjoying the scenery.
- Lunch is served back at our cabins before you have a few hours to chill at our accommodation.
- There is also the option to head to Raymond Island to see the wild koalas that call it home.
- This afternoon we take the short drive for bathing at the brand new Metung Hot Springs
- Set on a natural undulating site overlooking the magnificent Gippsland Lakes, the Metung Hot Springs are a new wellness destination where you bathe in geothermal water infused with natural minerals and trace elements that detoxify the body and rejuvenate the soul. We have organised entry to the bathing ridge and Hilltop Escarpment which has sweeping views of the Gippsland Lakes, fresh water lagoon and picturesque 25 acre site.
- Recharged from our time at the hot springs, we head to a nearby restaurant for dinner (additional cost) tasting the best of Gippsland’s produce, wines and beers.
- After dinner we’ll head back to the accommodation to settle in for the night.
Our final day 🙁
- Once we have had breakfast and packed up, we hit the road heading back through the beautiful Gippsland rolling countryside towards Melbourne.
- Our adventures don’t quite stop there, as we drive for a few hours to the hidden gem Tarra Bulga National Park where we will head a short guided hike to the suspension bridge through lush native rainforests.
- We continue stopping for lunch, and aim to arrive back in Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula by mid-late afternoon to say our goodbyes after an epic time on our Great Alpine Adventure!
This adventure includes kayaking and hiking done at a leisurely pace so just a moderate level of fitness is required. Parts of the itinerary are dedicated time to skiing and snowboarding. If you are unsure if this tour is suitable for you, please contact us(opens in a new tab) or check out some of our other adventures.
This trip operates in the cooler months of the year and occasionally there can be adverse weather conditions. If the weather is not suitable for kayaking or hiking, we will adjust the itinerary. Snow on the roads can delay our drive up to Mount Hotham.